Saturday, March 03, 2007

IN THE COMPANY OF HEROES...

Before I begin this entry, allow me to thank my colleague LtCol P for his help getting my last post up. As he alluded to, connecting to the world wide web from a warzone is sometimes problematic, so his help during those times has been invaluable. Obviously he gets higher marks for his friendship and loyalty than for his poetry : ) -- but he is correct in his observation that I am beginning my long journey home from the OIF theater... which is my topic today.

For the last several months I have been in the company of heroes on a daily basis. It has been an honor, a privilege and a great responsibility to document the work of these selfless and courageous young Marines, Corpsmen and Soldiers each day. Soon I will begin an even more challenging task; conveying the actions and ideals of these fantastic troops with mere words. I apologize in advance because I know I will never be able to capture the full measure of their heroics. But I will do my best. America, you should be so proud of these young people sent here to do this difficult job. Where our statesmen and most senior leaders have failed, they are succeeding. They are winning this war every day through their sheer courage and genuine humanity. They are not only routing out the insurgents by means of their military effectiveness and physical bravery, they are winning a far more important battle each day; convincing the Iraqi people of the inherent goodness of Americans.

Thanks to all of you who have prayed for me and my safety thoughout this mission. Your prayers were heard and answered. Please continue to pray for those who remain here on post and for those who are on their way. Pray for their safety and for their effectiveness that we may help the Iraqis to create a stable and secure state for their own self-government. Pray for a day when all of the troops here can return home with the pride of a mission well-accomplished.

I look forward to being back on American soil in the near future and to returning to my own idyllic hometown a few weeks after that... I will continue to share the perspective I have gained over the past few months and perhaps to help make sense of what I hear back in the US based on my experiences here. Thank you for taking the time to read these posts, not for my sake but to honor the heroes whose company I have been privileged to share.

Semper Fidelis,
Kurt

2 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Jim J. said...

Kurt - It's great to hear that you are coming home, and it's been fascinating to read your dispatches. I hope you have a very safe trip home to America. I look forward to seeing you!

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Did Clinton fire her first shot?

This is from the NY Times on Al Gore. Looks like he is preparing to run for president and the Clinton camp is worried.

From a Rapt Audience, a Call to Cool the Hype

 

Post a Comment

<< Home